Ramen California Restaurant (Torrance, California)

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Ramen California, Torrance, California

I keep reading about Ramen California.
Oishii Eats.
Go Ramen.
Rameniac.
Exile Kiss.
Los Angeles Times Food Section.

Finally, it was time to experience this new place for myself! I met Jun, Yvonne, and Courtney tonight at Ramen California in Torrance, California (Southern California's "cool ocean breeze" South Bay community).

Please, please put aside any ideas you have about Ramen. Especially the 10 cent stuff you had in college. And even set aside the pork ramen in your local Japanese ramen restaurant. When I heard about fresh veggies in ramen, I was a bit skeptical. I'm used to a piece of fatty pork in a rich broth, but after eating here, I'm so converted!

Ramen California is light, filled with fresh farmer's market vegetables and is, simply put, delicious.

Ramen California, Torrance, California
Californian Ramen
Check out all those fresh veggies! The broth is light and as you eat it, it gets colored by the red beets.

If you want to read about the background of the chef, his philosophy, and the farmer's market ingredients he purchases...please read the above reviews. Because this is our conversation (verbatim):

Yvonne: Oooh. This is so good.
Jun: This is soooo good.
Courtney: That's my favorite.
Mary: Oh, smell this!
Yvonne: Yummmmm.
Courtney: Delicious!
Jun: Mmmmmmm.
All: [Hands clapping]: Yeah! More bread! Food of the Gods!
Jun: You done with that? Can I have the rest?
Yvonne: When are we coming back?

Ramen California, Torrance, California
The noodles are organic and have a lovely texture. I slurped them up!

Ramen California, Torrance, California
Bread. Bread. Bread. Rosemary Kasha Bread. It's basically a bao with rosemary and lovely sea salt. And it is my new best friend.

Ramen California, Torrance, California
Reggiano Cheese Tofu ramen with seasonal vegetables. The ramen comes in three sizes and we all got the small size ramen.

Ramen California, Torrance, California
California Vegetable Mix (Onyasai) with Crispy Anchovy Powder
Oh my goodness. This was my favorite. It was delicious!!!

Ramen California, Torrance, California
Masala ramen made with curry. Smelled and tasted great!

Ramen California, Torrance, California
Alpine Sausage with Gnocchi in Tomato Sauce
This was good, but it was our least favorite item.

Ramen California, Torrance, California
Oysters. Yum.

Ramen California, Torrance, California
The peeled, fresh tomatoes were delicious!!!

For drinks, Courtney and Jun ordered the small "taster" wine...and they got a big glass! Our final bill was very reasonable...4 people: $52

If you are boiling in the valley or IE, take a trip to the South Bay and enjoy the cool ocean breezes as well as some delicious ramen and small plates.

Ramen California
24231 Crenshaw Blvd. Unit C
It's in the Torrance Crossroads Plaza (with an In N Out, Home Depot and Vons. Ramen California is located next to Office Depot on the side closest to Lomita Blvd.)
Torrance, CA 90505
tel: (310) 530-2749
fax: (310) 530-4318
Tuesday through Sunday, closed Mondays
Lunch: 11:30am to 2:30pm
Dinner: 5:30pm to 10:00pm

May 2010 Note: I had to close comments on this post because Every Single Day I was getting SPAM comments coming from Japan (strange, huh?) After rejecting what seems like hundreds of comments, I realized I can close comments on a single post. - mary the food librarian
Pin It!

11 comments:

Mary said... [Reply to comment]

Wow...another restaurant on my "next time I am in LA" list...that looks amazing...

Creative Classroom Core said... [Reply to comment]

Makes me wish I live closer!
Thanks for sharing!

Beryl said... [Reply to comment]

Hey, that's right in my neighborhood! I can't wait to check it out. Thanks for the hot tip!

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

This looks amazing! Mary, will you please send this information to my mom and Tim? Do you have their email addresses? They will be there in a heartbeat. Yum, yum, yum. And I love your pictures. Very colorful. Mmmmm!!! XOXOX Rach

Keizo Shimamoto said... [Reply to comment]

Great review! I'm glad you liked it. It's definitely encouraging to see a ramen chef take on a challenge as brave as this one. Ramen, when introduced to new regions, is meant to reflect the people of that region and I hope RC can do just that.

Sunset said... [Reply to comment]

I bet if we counted the phrases used most often during our dinner, "Oh-my-god" and "SO GOOD" will be at the top.
Those yelp-ers that complained are crazy. I'm not going to claim to be a ramen expert, but I think I can say that I know my ramen. I'm from Yokohama - home of the Ramen Museum (tho I've never been to the Museum). And I will proudly declare my love for Ramen California!

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

It looks wonderful! I love all the veggies in it. Another restaurant on the list.

2.46% said... [Reply to comment]

This looks so yummy! I love fresh ramen.

betty geek said... [Reply to comment]

Great review! You need to start Yelping! www.yelp.com

Love the pictures! WOW!

Sumi said... [Reply to comment]

I'm totally there!

April said... [Reply to comment]

Everything looks so fresh and bright, I bet it was amazingly good.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin