Mini Strawberry Shortcakes

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Strawberry Shortcakes
California strawberries are exploding all over the Farmer's Market. A three-pack of deliciousness runs $5 - $8. Yum!!

So what to do to showcase these lovely fruits?! Strawberry shortcake!

I used the Tartine (delicious San Francisco bakery...a must-go on any trip up North) recipe for the biscuits from their cookbook, Tartine.

Strawberry Shortcakes
These biscuits come together in no time! Cut in some butter, mix in heavy cream, pat out the dough, cut and brush with sugar. Easy peasy!

Strawberry Shortcakes Strawberry Shortcakes
I split the biscuit, layered in some strawberries (macerated in sugar for 15 minutes), and some whipped cream (with a little sugar and vanilla).

Strawberry Shortcakes
The Tartine recipe makes 6 four-inch biscuits but I used a small circle cutter and got 15 minis. Serving them in cupcake liners makes it easier for my co-workers to grab (I did put out forks).

Strawberry Shortcakes
Mini strawberry shortcakes. Summer fruit delights. And isn't this cake stand awesome? I'm borrowing it from my cousin...who may never see it again! :)

Recipe:
Click here for printable recipe
Adapted from Tartine, page 116 (Amazon or WorldCat)
Mixed-Berry Shortcakes - Be sure to pick up the book to get their berry-caramel sauce!

Biscuits
2 1/2 C + 2 T (12 1/2 oz) all-purpose flour
1 T baking powder
1/4 c sugar
3/4 t salt
7 T unsalted butter, very cold
1 C heavy cream, very cold
Extra cream and sugar for the tops

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Sift flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl.
3. Cut butter into small pieces, and cut butter into dry ingredients. I used a pastry blender, but you can use 2 knives or your fingers to get pea size pieces of butter.
4. Make a well in the center and pour in the cream. Gently mix the dough together with a wooden spoon or your hands. Don't overmix...it'll look shaggy.
5. Turn the dough onto a floured surface and roll out to 1-inch thick. I didn't have time for a roller so I just patted it out. Tartine uses a 4-inch circle cutter (for 6 circles). I used a small 2-inch circle cutter and got 15 biscuits.
6. Place biscuits on baking sheet (I placed on a Silpat) and brush tops with heavy cream and sprinkle with sugar.
7. Bake until golden, 10 to 12 minutes.

For my shortcakes, I cut about a pint of strawberries and macerated them in some sugar - amount of sugar depends on the sweetness of your strawberries. I whipped some heavy cream (about 1 1/2 cups) and with sugar and vanilla (to taste). Assemble and serve immediately or within a few hours. I assembled mine at 6:30 am, drove to work, stuck them in the fridge and served them at 11:00 am for a coffeebreak/pre-lunch treat. :)
Pin It!

29 comments:

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

i love berry season! i could wolf these down in a second. they look awesome!

Damaris @Kitchen Corners said... [Reply to comment]

delish! we made some strawberry shortcakes but we only had 2 strawberries. As soon as I buy strawberries they're gone. It's all Christian's fault even though he totally blames Enzo.

Maria said... [Reply to comment]

The cutest shortcakes ever! I love Tartine too! I have their cookbook and visit every time I am in SF!

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

Those look amazing! Strawberries are my favorite! I'll bet your coworkers love you for bringing in all these treats! Great job and thanks for sharing!

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

Oh these are gorgeous Mary! I've been thinking about buying the Tartine cookbook for a while and this definitely makes it a bit more likely I'll do it soon :)

Arianna Belle said... [Reply to comment]

oh my goodness! i'm sharing this recipe with my husband -we both LOVE strawberries!

Eliana said... [Reply to comment]

Can you send me some of those strawberries!!! They look so juicy and delicious.

Roxan said... [Reply to comment]

So cute! I need to make some of these before strawberries go back out of season.

DailyChef said... [Reply to comment]

Wow, delicious! You have me craving a strawberry shortcake now :)

kirbie said... [Reply to comment]

How cute! You always have the best ideas. I've never been to Tartine. Making a trip to SF this Memorial Weekend, will have to try to put it in the agenda!

Katrina said... [Reply to comment]

I got to go to Tartine when I was in SF last year for Food BlogHer. Wish I could have tried everything there. ;)
Great looking lil shortcakes! Love minis!

Linda said... [Reply to comment]

Too cute Mary! My mid-morning snack of stale Wheat Thins is no comparison to these yummy looking treats.

Love Tartine - wishing for a place like that in LA.

Cherine said... [Reply to comment]

So beautiful and cute! A fabulous treat :)

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

I love exploding strawberries! What sweet little tributes to spring.

Lisa W said... [Reply to comment]

Your food styling is wonderful! Playful, yet makes me want to bake (which is the whole point!)

Esi said... [Reply to comment]

This is like the perfect summer dessert...but knowing my weirdness I would scrape off the whipped cream. I'm crazy.

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

Fab recipe! I made them and they came out perfect! Thanks

Aaron John said... [Reply to comment]

These look great!! :)

Peggy said... [Reply to comment]

You have some very lucky co-workers! I bet they love you after you share something like this with them. I know I would. :) I am a big fan of strawberry anything. Was just thinking about shortcake yesterday.

Amanda said... [Reply to comment]

Those are simply gorgeous!

eatme_delicious said... [Reply to comment]

I love how you put the little shortcakes together! So cute (and delicious).

Mr. P said... [Reply to comment]

I wish I could get stuff like this through airport security and then my colleagues could benefit too! They look sensational Mary.

mimi said... [Reply to comment]

i loved tartine and that second photo just looks wonderful, so flaky!! i am definitely going to try this recipe next time i buy some strawberries again at the market.

School Lunch Box said... [Reply to comment]

OMW! My wife traditionally makes scones for breakfast every Sunday morning! Well that tradition is about to fly over the wall! This Sunday she will be making Mini Strawberry Shortcakes!Yummy!

steph- whisk/spoon said... [Reply to comment]

mmmm! i'd definitely try to sneak seconds of those! nice-looking biscutis, too!

Jane said... [Reply to comment]

Adorable and delightful. Who doesn't love strawberry shortcakes, large or small? Very cute!

Muneeba said... [Reply to comment]

What a creative way to serve these! Love it!

Jennie said... [Reply to comment]

These look so good! You have some very, very lucky co-workers!

Jarrrr said... [Reply to comment]

I envy those coworkers of yours!!

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin