Blood Orange Cornmeal Cake (Everyday Food)

Friday, March 25, 2011

Blood Orange Cornmeal Cake
Blood Orange Cornmeal Cake

Blood Orange Cornmeal Cake
It's blood orange season. I love cooking with blood oranges because the color is so vibrant! However, I usually don't eat the blood oranges raw. My favorite citrus are the Cara Cara, Satsuma and this year, the Dekopon or Sumo Citrus.

Blood Orange Cornmeal Cake
This cake is super easy to make and you can use all types of citrus. I've used Cara Cara in the past and navels too. The cornmeal provides a nice texture.

Blood Orange Cornmeal Cake
I used several blood oranges and 1/2 a cara cara orange. The blood oranges are so pretty! The batter is super easy. Dry and wet ingredients combine with a whisk. No Kitchen Aid needed here.

Blood Orange Cornmeal Cake
Recipe:
Blood Orange Cornmeal Cake
Adapted from Everyday Food's Orange Cornmeal Cake

Printable recipe here

1 c sugar
Finely grated zest of 1 or 2 oranges
1/2 c olive oil
2 large eggs, room temperature
1/2 c orange juice (I used blood oranges and a cara cara orange)
1 1/4 c all-purpose flour
1/2 c yellow cornmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 c sugar

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prep 8-inch round cake pan with butter or Pam spray.
2. In a large bowl, rub the zest with the sugar until fragrant and damp. Whisk in oil, eggs, orange juice until smooth.
3. In a separate bowl, combing flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt.
4. Combine wet and dry ingredients and whisk until combined. Don't overmix.
5. Pour batter into prepared pan and sprinkle top evenly with 1/3 cup sugar (topping will be thick). Bake until cake begins to pull away from sides of pan and a tester inserted in center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes.
6. Cool in pan 20 minutes. Run a knife around edge of cake; invert cake gently onto a plate or parchment covered cooling rack (you'll lose some of the sugar topping). Reinvert cake onto a rack to cool completely. If you wish, you can serve with fresh orange segments.
Pin It!

20 comments:

Kimberly(Unrivaledkitch) said... [Reply to comment]

this looks really fantastic.blood orange is just wonderful

beautiful pictures!

eatgood4life.blogspot.com said... [Reply to comment]

I just made a honey orange cornmeal cake the other day that is very similar to this one. I actually loved how simple and delicious it was. It really took me back to when I was a little girl eating home made baked goodies :-) I may have to give this one a go since I love blood oranges. I already have some in the house :-)

Open Roads Mama said... [Reply to comment]

looks yummy! wrote down the recipe, will definitely make it soon! tnx!

Allison said... [Reply to comment]

I love that you mention Cara Cara Oranges as they are my absolute favorite! This cake looks so delicious.

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

I've recently come into the possession of a cornmeal lime cookie recipe. I love this cornmeal/citrus flavor combination. Looking forward to giving your recipe a shot.

Flax Hill Gardener said... [Reply to comment]

I have had four blood oranges on my counter for the last week. Today I juiced them and am going to make this cake tomorrow. Thanks for posting the recipe!

Sugar Swings said... [Reply to comment]

wow blood oranges and cake!...I have to tell you I really love your posts, everything looks so tasty and the recipes you pick always sound so delicious!

Lulu the Baker said... [Reply to comment]

That looks so good! I love cornmeal and citrus together.

Meister @ The Nervous Cook said... [Reply to comment]

Oh my word, thank heavens I'm not a baker because I would just bake this recipe over and over and over again... and just keep eating, and eating, and eating…

Marisa Seguin said... [Reply to comment]

Mmm this sounds delicious! I am dreading the end of blood orange season, I've been devouring them all winter!

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

I really like the simplicity of cakes, or loafs, they are quite moist and nice to have with a cuppa... I'm having a hellava time finding blood oranges here in Japan though...

Choclette said... [Reply to comment]

Those oranges look amazing. I remember everyone cooking with them last year and can't believe a whole year has gone by since then. I haven't seen any over here for years. Your cake looks good too of course :)

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

I've never baked with blood oranges but they really are gorgeous! This cake sounds great, bookmarking it so hopefully I'll remember to grab some citrus next time I'm out.

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said... [Reply to comment]

I've never seen blood oranges at my market - ever! That cake looks divine!

Sara said... [Reply to comment]

Yum, this looks so delicious! :)

Nell said... [Reply to comment]

I love this cake! I am just wondering what the texture is like!
Jealous of your farmer's markets!

Mary Ann said... [Reply to comment]

I have really wanted to try a few recipes with blood oranges but I have never been able to find them anywhere. I just made the Meyer Lemon Cornmeal cake that I saw you made and I really loved the cornmeal in it. I want to make this too.
You are so lucky to have so many varieties of citrus available to you!

Gloria Baker said... [Reply to comment]

Love this cake! gloria

Shannon Riley said... [Reply to comment]

This looks wonderful! Great job! :D

dryflour said... [Reply to comment]

this cake has a very graceful and appealing slope, it is beautiful.

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin