Chocolate Breakfast Muffins - King Arthur Flour

Monday, January 23, 2012

Chocolate Breakfast Muffins - King Arthur Flour
Chocolate Breakfast Muffins

Chocolate for breakfast. Sign me up!

This is pretty much a cupcake without frosting...so that makes it totally legit for breakfast. ;)
Chocolate Breakfast Muffins - collage 1
This recipe is super duper easy and from the fine folks at King Arthur Flour. You can throw the ingredients together in the morning and bake them while you are taking a shower. The muffin has Dutch-process cocoa and some chocolate chips for a double chocolate punch.

Chocolate Breakfast Muffins - King Arthur Flour
My friend Racheal came down with the dreaded cold... Have you had it yet? It is going around like crazy. I dropped this care package for Racheal and her cute son, Caden to get the healing started. Chocolate is medicinal, right?! Believe me, this is much better than a get well card.

Three Designing Women Stamp
Look what I bought myself for my birthday! A little stamp that says "From the Kitchen of...The Food Librarian." It's made by Three Designing Women. You can pick one up on Amazon - they mail you a blank stamp and a certificate to order the design online.



Recipe:
Adapted from King Arthur Flour's website

2/3 cup (2 ounces) Dutch-proces cocoa 
1 3/4 cups (7 1/4 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 1/4 cups (9 3/8 ounces) light brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon espresso powder, optional (I used the espresso powder...coffee punches up with chocolate flavor) 
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (6 ounces) chocolate chips (I used Nestle semi-sweet chocolate chips)
2 eggs
1 cup (8 ounces) milk (I used whole milk)
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 teaspoons vinegar
1/2 cup (4 ounces, 1 stick) butter, melted
Optional: coarse pearl sugar, for topping (I didn't have any pearl sugar (must get some, it is so pretty on the chocolate muffin)...I used some sanding sugar instead)

Prep: Preheat oven to 400°F. Prep muffin tin (I sprayed mine with Pam with Flour spray).
1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cocoa, flour, sugar, baking powder, espresso powder, baking soda, salt and chocolate chips. 
2. In a large measuring cup or medium mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla and vinegar. 
3. Add the wet ingredients, along with the melted butter, to the dry ingredients, stirring to blend, just until combined. Do not overbeat.
4. Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tin. King Arthur makes 12 muffins with big tops, but I made them a bit smaller and got 16 muffins. Sprinkle with sugar. 
5. Bake the muffins for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Remove the muffins from the oven, and after 5 minutes remove them from the pan, to cool on a rack.
Pin It!

13 comments:

Fabi said... [Reply to comment]

I'm having my third cold of the season. I could use some chocolate muffin too! They look delicious Mary! By the way, happy birthday dear! Cheers from Spain.

Mr. P said... [Reply to comment]

Send this way. Now.

And I WANT that stamp!

Esi said... [Reply to comment]

I could use some muffins this morning. And how cute is that stamp? Happy birthday!

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

I love the stamp! And I want a chocolate breakfast muffin. Now.

Eliana said... [Reply to comment]

Any excuse to have chocolate for breakfast is a good one for me. Love these Mary.

A Chica Bakes said... [Reply to comment]

Any excuse to have chocolate for breakfast is a good one for me. Love these Mary.

nycstylelittlecannoli said... [Reply to comment]

love King Arthur's catalog, just got the new one today. so many great items and recipes...this one looks like a keeper!!

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

Chocolate for breakfast...
YESS PLEASE!!
I know it's going to be a great day, any time I can have chocolate and my morning coffee at the same time ;)
great recipe!!

Yuri - Chef Pandita said... [Reply to comment]

Happy birthday, Mary! Lovely muffins and cute stamp. I am so getting one :D

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

What a great stamp! I recently made business cards for my blog. Nice muffins too!

Nikki said... [Reply to comment]

That stamp is so cool! It would be so cute to put on cards and in gifts and such. Happy late birthday.

Damaris @Kitchen Corners said... [Reply to comment]

I love the stamp. My Baby Maria is sick. I wish you could bring us chocolate muffins.

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

These are some of my favorites! We often don't have chocolate chips on hand, so we just make them without them and then add homemade raspberry jam on top... Mmm! :)

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin