Carrot Walnut Bundt Cake - Day #17 - I Like Big Bundts

Monday, November 2, 2009

Carrot Walnut Bundt - I Like Big Bundts
Day 17 of I Like Big Bundts: 30 Days of Bundt Cakes
Carrot Walnut Bundt

Happy Monday!

I'm writing this post at 6:00 pm on Sunday night and I'm trying to keep my head from crashing into my laptop. Oh, the change in daylight saving time kicks my butt every six months. It's jet-lag for days! I could go to sleep right now.

Therefore, if this is completely incoherent, blame the time change. Or blame the sun. It was 81 degrees today in Los Angeles so I did what most people in the country do on November 1st...I went to the beach. ;)

I Like Big Bundts Logo by JustJenn Designs
Thanks to my friend JustJenn of JustJennDesigns for making the logo!
Yes, I'm making 30 Bundts in the 30 days leading up to National Bundt Day on November 15th. Please get out the beloved Bundt pan and join me in the celebration!

Carrot Walnut Bundt - I Like Big Bundts
It's Day #17 of the I Like Big Bundts! We are only TWO WEEKS away (thank godness!) from National Bundt Day! Whoo Hoo!

This is a Carrot Walnut Bundt Cake. The recipe is from the Metropolitan Bakery in Philadelphia. They have a Lemon Cream Cheese Icing. I didn't make that this time, but it does sound very yummy! I'll definitely try that next time.

Carrot Walnut Bundt - I Like Big Bundts Carrot Walnut Bundt - I Like Big Bundts
I wanted to get all fancy and put a layer of cream cheese in the center. Didn't quite work out and I would skip this if I tried it again. It think a layer of cream cheese would work best with a stiffer batter.

Carrot Walnut Bundt - I Like Big Bundts
This cake was moist and nutty. Very fall and lovely with a hot cup of coffee, tea or hot cider. And besides...it's full of antioxidants! ;)

Carrot Walnut Bundt - I Like Big Bundts

Here's a short quiz. What will Mary the Food Librarian post tomorrow?
a. Snake tacos
b. Curry rice
c. Another Bundt
Come back tomorrow for the answer! :) - have a good one, mary

Recipe:
Carrot-Walnut Bundt Cake
from the Metropolitan Bakery, from Epicurious (Bon Appétit, February 2000)

I Like Big Bundts recap:

The Food Librarian confesses: I Like Big Bundts
Day 1: Pumpkin Spice Bundt with Buttermilk Icing
Day 2: Chocolate-Cinnamon Bundt Cake with Mocha Icing
Day 3: Pumpkin-Apple Spiced Bundt
Day 4: Cinnamon Ripple Sweet Potato Bundt
Day 5: Chocolate Zucchini Bundt
Day 6: Cardamom Vanilla Bundt
Day 7: Monkey Bread in a Bundt
Day 8: Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bundt
Day 9: Coconut Bundt
Day 10: Sweet Potato Bundt
Day 11: Mom's Apple Cake Bundt
Day 12: Meyer Lemon Bundt
Day 13: Candy Corn Jello Bundt
Day 14: Spiced Cranberry Bundt
Day 15: Blueberry-Buttermilk Bundt
Day 16: Nutella Bundt
Pin It!

18 comments:

DPLK said... [Reply to comment]

Wow what a beautiful bundt pan! I love the intricate criss-cross effect.

Looks like a delicious recipe!

~Lexibule~ said... [Reply to comment]

Wow!! Il est Ravissant ce gâteau:)xxx

Katrina said... [Reply to comment]

You are too funny with the little quiz! Love it.
I kind of like the cream cheese inside! I just tried making pumpkin "ribbon" bread, but it was mixing up with the pumpkin batter so much that I just swirled it and thought it looked pretty cool!
Another good one by the Champ, Mary! Hang in there, my birthday will be here soon! ;)

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

Bundt cake tacos.

Lucy..♥ said... [Reply to comment]

I too love that ripple of cream cheese, the cake looks awesome!! Thumbs up on these wonderful bundt cakes! :-)

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

Looks delicious! I think because the carrots it counts as a vegetable serving. :P

Debbie said... [Reply to comment]

LOVE Bundt cakes, I will have to check all of these out! I just made a Halloween Bundt cake myself. They go a long way......and are very versatile.

Nancy/n.o.e said... [Reply to comment]
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nancy/n.o.e said... [Reply to comment]

[I deleted that last comment because I think it was kinda incoherent]

What a beautiful cake! I'll be bookmarking this one for sure; carrots in cake are a perennial fave with the hubs.

Last night I went on a search through my cookbooks for bundt recipes. I couldn't believe how hard they can be to find; some of my baking books had nary a recipe baked in a bundt/tube pan. I don't know if you have any Nick Malghieri cookbooks, but he seems to have a lot of bundt cakes, especially coffee cake type ones. The upshot is that I now have a few contenders for National Bundt Day - one definite front runner but I'm not ready to declare a winner yet! I have two events to bake for this week, and will probably bake the mystery bundt and the TWD bundt so it's kind of "bundt week" in my kitchen!

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

your bundt pun made my day, thank you!

Book Boor said... [Reply to comment]

Would you provide the maker and the style of bundt pan you used for this one, please?

The Food Librarian said... [Reply to comment]

Book Boor, This is a Nordic Ware Bavaria Bundt pan. Here is the link to Nordic Ware's website; http://www.nordicware.com/store/products/detail/bavaria-bundt-pan/81011E92-39EE-102C-96FB-00137233C6B0

My local cooking place had it on CLEARANCE! Sweet! It was only $12. I couldn't pass it up! - mary

Nutmeg Nanny said... [Reply to comment]

Man I don't know how you are doing all these bundts but I tip my hat to you! This one looks moist and delicious:)

CaSaundraLeigh said... [Reply to comment]

The beach in November?! I would kill for that warm of weather--and I wouldn't mind eating that cake on the beach while I'm there! :-)

delia said... [Reply to comment]

Nice bundt cake. I'll be bookmarking this recipe. I've just bought a bundt pan over the weekend and yesterday when i found your website, I just couldn't wait to try out the chocolate cinnamon bundt cake. So here I am with my first bundt cake but unfortunately, I think it doesn't really comes out ok becoz the middle part a bit moist. Should we decrease the temp. if using black bundt pans - interior is black and outside is red? thanks.

The Food Librarian said... [Reply to comment]

delia, the chocolate cinnamon bundt (http://foodlibrarian.blogspot.com/2009/04/cinnamon-chocolate-bundt-cake.html) varies on the baking time. the original recipe has a baking time that, for me, was way too short (25 minutes). i've had to bake it up to 35 minutes. my pans have a black inside and silvery on the outside. my pan is very heavy, i have seen bundt pans that are thinner...perhaps that makes a difference. i'm not a pro...so i'm not sure. but i would let this cake go longer until it isn't giggly in the center and a toothpick comes out clean...even if it goes beyond the 25-35 minute mark. - mary

Pamela said... [Reply to comment]

Beautiful.

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

Just made this cake and it has come out really well. Thank you for the lovely recipe.

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin