Fuyu Persimmon Bundt from Sunset Magazine - Day #19 - I Like Big Bundts

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Persimmon Bundt Cake - I Like Big Bundts
Day 19 of I Like Big Bundts: 30 Days of Bundt Cakes
Fuyu Persimmon Bundt

Ever play Monopoly with children who haven’t read all the directions? (Like who has?) And suddenly, the new rules say they are able to roll twice or buy all the hotels for 50% off?

Well, the I Like Big Bundts project is my Monopoly game and I’m making up the rules! ;)

I decided early on to repeat two Bundts (less than 10% of the total project) because I want to showcase my favorite Bundts. I'm actually baking them again, not just reaching back into the archives...but I couldn't let this Bundterrific extravaganza go by without highlighting my two FAVORITE Bundts ever. Making them again was like visiting an old friend. A delicious friend, that is.

Today, it’s the Fuyu Persimmon Bundt from Sunset Magazine.

Fuyu Persimmons grown in Los Angeles
There are two types of fall’s favorite fruit, the Persimmon. And if you don’t know the difference, it could scar you for life!

1. Fuyu Persimmon – squat, persimmon that CAN be eaten hard, like an apple. I like to peel the skin, but it is edible. Photo above.
2. Hachiya Persimmon – heart shaped persimmon that MUST be totally soft and cannot be eaten hard. If you eat a hachiya before it is soft, it will horribly scar you! You will run from persimmons for the rest of your life, screaming like a little child (I’ve seen it before!). It will taste completely chalky and yucky. So, please don’t confuse the fuyu (eat hard) and the hachiya (eat soft).

I Like Big Bundts Logo by JustJenn Designs
Thanks to my friend JustJenn of JustJennDesigns for making the logo!
I'm making 30 Bundts in 30 days...all leading up to National Bundt Day on November 15th! Are you ready to Bundt?

Persimmon Bundt Cake - I Like Big Bundts Persimmon Bundt Cake - I Like Big Bundts
Persimmon Bundt Cake - I Like Big Bundts Persimmon Bundt Cake - I Like Big Bundts
Most baked persimmon recipes use the hachiya (soft) persimmon, but this one uses firm fuyu persimmons. Containing persimmons, golden raisins, walnuts and lots of fall spices, this is soooo delicious.

Persimmon Bundt Cake - I Like Big Bundts
This is a classic recipe. Here is my original post from last year. I went back into the library's invaluable collection of Sunset Magazines. First published in the October 1978 issue of Sunset Magazine as "Crisp Persimmon Cake" by E.F. of Palo Alto, CA.

Persimmon Bundt Cake - I Like Big Bundts
Fall. On. A. Plate.

Persimmon Bundt Cake - I Like Big Bundts
Game #6 of the World Series is tonight. My co-worker says, If the Food Librarian played baseball...she wouldn't hit, she would always Bundt. Ha ha ha. There is your Bundt pun of the day.

Fuyu Persimmons grown in Los Angeles
From my parent's fuyu persimmon tree!

Tomorrow, wouldn't you know it? I'll have another Bundt! :) - mary the food librarian

Recipe:
Fuyu Persimmon Bundt  (Updated 10/2015 - I heard the link is dead so I inserted the recipe below)
from California Fuyu Grower's Association (originally from Sunset Magazine, 1978)

Fuyu Persimmon Bundt Cake Recipe
Adapted from Sunset Magazine. Also appears in Cake Simple by Christie Matheson

Ingredients:
3 cups firm Fuyu persimmons (about 3 persimmons), chopped (NOT Hachiya persimmons)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 cup or 1 stick or 4 ounces butter, softened
1 2/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup walnuts, chopped
3/4 cup raisins

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Prepare 12-cup Bundt pan by spraying it with baking spray or greasing and flouring the pan. (My favorite Bundt pans are Nordic Ware and my favorite baking spray is Bak-Klene brand)
3. Fruit: In a medium bowl, mix the chopped fuyu persimmons with 2 teaspoons baking soda. Set aside.
4. Dry ingredients: In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg.
5. Using a mixer with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about 2-3 minutes). Add eggs, lemon juice, and vanilla. Beat until fluffy.
6. With the mixer on slow speed, add the fruit mixture into the batter.
7. On slow speed, add the flour mixture and mix just until blended. It's okay if it's not fully blended as you'll fold the last ingredients next.
8. Fold in the walnuts and raisins. The batter will be thick.
9. Pour batter into Bundt pan. Smooth the top.
10. Bake for 55-60 minutes until the toothpick inserted comes out clean.
11. Cool in the Bundt pan for 15 minutes then invert onto cooling rack and let cool.

I Like Big Bundts recap:
The Food Librarian confesses: I Like Big Bundts
Day 1: Pumpkin Spice Bundt with Buttermilk Icing
Day 2: Chocolate-Cinnamon Bundt Cake with Mocha Icing
Day 3: Pumpkin-Apple Spiced Bundt
Day 4: Cinnamon Ripple Sweet Potato Bundt
Day 5: Chocolate Zucchini Bundt
Day 6: Cardamom Vanilla Bundt
Day 7: Monkey Bread in a Bundt
Day 8: Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bundt
Day 9: Coconut Bundt
Day 10: Sweet Potato Bundt
Day 11: Mom's Apple Cake Bundt
Day 12: Meyer Lemon Bundt
Day 13: Candy Corn Jello Bundt
Day 14: Spiced Cranberry Bundt
Day 15: Blueberry-Buttermilk Bundt
Day 16: Nutella Bundt
Day 17: Carrot Walnut Bundt
Day 18: Pear Ginger Bundt
Pin It!

27 comments:

Jessica said... [Reply to comment]

Growing up, we had what must've been a hachiya persimmon tree in our backyard and my dad made persimmon bread all of the time. The tree got sick and had to be cut down. I've never had a fuyu persimmon, but I think that I saw some at Whole Foods recently. I'll definitely have to try them -- I'm intrigued! You've sparked some serious bundt fever for me. There are so many recipes you've made that I want to try. I'm going to load up on eggs and sugar and make some bundts this weekend. I've decided that they will mail well, and I'm excited to send bundt care packages on Monday. Thanks for all of the terrific inspiration!

Dorothy said... [Reply to comment]

You're definitely right about the bad taste of hachiya persimmons that aren't ripe--I've heard plenty of stories about it. Very astringent; something with the tannins in the fruit I think? Down in Louisiana, it seems most of the people only know about the hachiyas. I only recently learned there were two varieties! My (Asian) family only eats the tomato-shaped Fuyus...but I've never tried baking with them. Gotta add that Bundt to my ever-growing list!

Nancy/n.o.e said... [Reply to comment]

Love the way this persimmon bundt looks! I bookmarked this recipe last year when you made it, and even bought the persimmons, but it didn't get baked :( I'm more interested than ever, but this time I'll make sure to follow through!

woo hoo! You're nearly 2/3 through your project.

Mr. P said... [Reply to comment]

That looks amazing.

I go to Japan all the time and the persimmon season is now here so I am making this as soon as I get back from my next trip!

I have a Hansel and Gretel Nordic Ware bundt tin. I only tried the recipe it came with once, 2 years ago, and couldn't get the cake to turn out. Since then, the tin has been unused.

That cake made lovely trifle, but have you got any tips for a better success rate? Thanks!!

kirbie said... [Reply to comment]

A persimmon recipe! I'm so excited. I've been baking a lot with persimmons lately, making persimmon cookies and persimmon bread. I haven't made a persimmon cake before and never with the Fuyu ones. Thanks! I'm going to try this out this weekend with my new bundt pan.

Hindy said... [Reply to comment]

We were just looking at persimmons in the grocery store this morning and wondering what you'd do with them. Now I have a recipe! Beautiful bundt!

Barbara Bakes said... [Reply to comment]

I like your bundt joke and I learned something new today! Thanks! The bundt looks so yummy!

Cucinista said... [Reply to comment]

Thanks for the persimmon recipe. I love the flavor but don't always want a persimmon pudding, so now I can make a bundt cake. Excellent!

Nutmeg Nanny said... [Reply to comment]

I have never had persimmon before but have always wanted to try it. I love the way you incorporated it into the bundt...yum!

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

Thanks for the persimmmon review. When I saw you made a persimmon bundt, I couldn't remember which ones are more tricky to eat. Now I know!

Christy said... [Reply to comment]

Thanks for the persimmon info! We have a persimmon tree in our yard and I've never known what kind it is. :)

I'm always looking for recipes to use up all the pulp we grind out every year and this bundt looks absolutely delicious!!

Diane said... [Reply to comment]

Just glancing at my ALA direct - email and there is a listing for your blog! Did you ever think your blog would be so popular - The bundt cakes have been fun - I am going to try and make one on the 15th. Hopefully it come out of the pan - I always have problems with that - any tips?

Diane

betty geek said... [Reply to comment]

I am losing track of your bundt cakes. There are just so many and just so beautiful!

Persimmons? I have to try a slice.

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

I've never tried persimmons and I don't remember ever seeing them in my grocery store. Maybe I've just never paid attention :) I'm going to make it a point to check next time! Your cake looks wonderful.

Esi said... [Reply to comment]

You're in the home stretch!!! I can't wait to try your dad's fuyus!

Jessica said... [Reply to comment]

My family has a persimmons tree in our backyard in Korea, so I grew up eating persimmons. I'm back home for the first time in YEARS for the fall, so the first thing I wanted to do was make something with persimmons! This recipe sounds delicious, and I definitely want to try it out! I recently made persimmons coffee cake. You can check it out here: http://www.jessicasdinnerparty.com/2009/11/persimmon-coffee-cake-and-nablopomo/

eatme_delicious said... [Reply to comment]

Hmm you know I've only tried a persimmon once and hated it so never tried it again. But I think you've convinced me to give them another try (both types)! (And the bundt sounds fantastic.)

Bec said... [Reply to comment]

I just recently tried persimmons for the first time (fuyu) and have been really enjoying them. I'll give this a try (or get a friend to make it for me . . . )

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

I just learned about the difference between these two persimmons: the flatter hard fruit has gotten me addicted in short order. Now your recipe has me inspired to make this bundt at
my library. Another staff member brought the persimmons! It will be created by two bakers. We were referred to you by our colleague Nancy who writes for www.bookpatrol.net
Sybil & Irma (baking away in persimmonville!)

kirbie said... [Reply to comment]

I've never really loved bundt cakes until you decided to do these bundt posts. They've made a bundt lover out of me! I never even knew about the nordic ware line of bundt pans. I was wondering why my bundt pan looks so ugly and yours are so pretty! Well seeing all your pretty posts made me go and buy quite a few of the nordic ware bundts on Amazon (4 for the price of 3, how could I resist?). They've taken forever to arrive, but they are finally here just in time for my baking this weekend and National Bundt day. Meanwhile, I simply couldn't wait to try some of your recipes last weekend, so I went ahead and tried your Fuyu persimmon bundt cake using my old bundt pan. http://www.kirbiecravings.com/2009/11/fuyu-persimmon-cake.html
Thanks for the recipe!

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

Hi Mary the Food Librarian! We so enjoyed the persimmon bundt cake we made: it was a group effort. Dennis brought the fresh fuyu persimmons from his father's tree, Irma had the bundt cake pan and she and I shared the list of ingredients, G took photos of the cake, Nancy provided us with your blog and the recipe and the rest of the library staff generously ate (taste-tested) the cake. I would just use one tsp of baking powder on the persimoons next time, instead of two because it was a bit salty for me that way but noone else complained. The cake was gone before the end of the day! Sybil (I will e-mail you a photo of the cake but it pales by comparison to your lovely photos and tastes way better than the look.)

Basilia Elizabeth said... [Reply to comment]

Nice Bundt Post! I have never actually had permission before. You have inspired me. thanks

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

What a cool way to use persimmons! I altered the recipe quite a bit (yogurt for butter and less sugar) and loved it. My coworkers really enjoyed it, too.

Mary @ Fit and Fed said... [Reply to comment]

Just tried my first fuyu persimmons tonight-- sliced them up like apple rings and served them with dinner that way. The combo in this cake of the persimmon, golden raisins, and walnuts sounds so good! I still have several fuyus left-- I might try a salad with that same combo.

Miss Mochi said... [Reply to comment]

My Japanese side of the family has a fuyu tree that we enjoy pounds of fruit from, but one time a friend gave my mother some unripe hachiya... so she sliced it up and fed it to us for breakfast like she normally does with the fuyu.

Life scarring doesn't even begin to cover it. I felt like my soul was being sucked out of my mouth!

Tracy said... [Reply to comment]

My first foray into cooking with Persimmons was this bundt cake. This is a super moist & delicious cake. Your addition of the Maple glaze was pure genius. I made this last Saturday. There is just 2 of us at home so I took most of the cake to work. My boss loves it & thinks it's the best dessert I have ever made. He will not stop gushing about it so now I am making another for his family's Christmas dinner.

yemek tarifleri said... [Reply to comment]

It is a great fruit. Persimmon is a very special fruit that if it you use mature ones, you may reduce the use of refined sugar. Thanks for sharing.

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin