Whipped Cream Bundt Cake - Day #22 - I Like Big Bundts

Saturday, November 7, 2009

Whipped Cream Bundt Cake - I Like Big Bundts
Day 22 of I Like Big Bundts: 30 Days of Bundt Cakes
Whipped Cream Bundt

Have you seen Rose Levy Beranbaum's new book, Rose's Heavenly Cakes ? It is, like the name implies, heavenly! Just lovely. I picked it up at the library to preview and will be buying it today at one of my favorite independent bookstores, Book Soup!

I Like Big Bundts Logo by JustJenn Designs
Thanks to my friend JustJenn of JustJennDesigns for making the logo!

I'm making 30 Bundts in 30 days! November 15th is National Bundt Day and I hope you join me in making a wonderful yummy Bundt cake (or get someone else to make one and you just eat a Bundt...that counts too! :)

Whipped Cream Bundt Cake - I Like Big Bundts
At first, I looked at the ingredient list and didn't see any sticks of butter. Then I saw the 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream...a precursor to butter! :) The resulting cake is light and perfect with a cup of coffee or tea.

Whipped Cream Bundt Cake - I Like Big Bundts
Top question of the past 22 days… Who is eating all these Bundts?!

Thanks for the concern…but I’m not eating them all. In fact, some of them I don't eat one bite.

They have been going to:
a. The library (cut into thin slices – each Bundt probably has about 30 slices when the directions say it serves 10)
b. Neighboring libraries
c. My friends and family
d. My roommate's workplace

And, don't worry...I'll be bringing in plates of fruit and vegetables to work after this month! ;)

Whipped Cream Bundt Cake - I Like Big Bundts
Another thing I like about Rose's book is that it gives measures 10 different ways. Okay, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration, but it does give you volume and weight measurements. Very handy indeed.

Whipped Cream Bundt Cake - I Like Big Bundts
My shout out today consists of actual SHOUTING. Well, laughing out loud. Michelle of Je Mange la Ville made a lovely Sour Cream Pumpkin Bundt Cake with Streusel (it is stunning!) and wrote: While I am not delightfully crazy enough to make a bundt a day…
Which means...I must be delightfully crazy.

Cathy of the Noble Pig also made a Leftover Halloween Candy Bundt! Such a great idea...and each year's Bundt will be different!

And Happy Birthday to Caroline! Fellow Los Angeles food blogger...have a great day!

We are closing in on National Bundt Day (November 15th.) Come back tomorrow for another Bundt. Tomorrow is another Bundt (that I need to get making right now!!) and a parade of Bundts past!

- mary the food librarian

Whipped Cream Cake
Sift together and set aside:
2 1/4 c or 8 ounces cake flour
2 t baking powder
3/4 t salt

1 1/2 c heavy cream, cold
3 large eggs, room temp
1 t vanilla
1 c plus 2 T or 8 ounces superfine sugar

Adapted from Rose's Heavenly Cakes. She has more detailed instructions in the book and the story behind this cake.
1. Whisk cream, starting on low and increasing to medium-high, until stiff peaks are formed. Note: Don't chill the beaters or pan like you would with a traditional whipped cream. Use cold cream, but not cold equipment too.
2. In medium bowl, whisk the eggs and vanilla just until lightly combined.
3. Add egg mixture into the whipped cream. Mixture will thicken to mayonnaise consistency. Gradually beat in the sugar (30 seconds).
4. Fold in 1/2 flour mixture into batter until most disappears. Fold in remaining mixture. Pour into 10-cup Bundt pan that has been coated with baking spray with flour.
5. Bake for 25-35 minute in a preheated 375 degree oven (lower 1/3 of the oven) until toothpick comes out clean.
6. Cool for 10 minutes and then depan.

Recipe:
Adapted from Whipped Cream Cake (page 29)
Rose's Heavenly Cakes

Here is Rose's beautiful new book on Amazon and in Worldcat (see if your library has it)

I Like Big Bundts recap:
The Food Librarian confesses: I Like Big Bundts
Day 1: Pumpkin Spice Bundt with Buttermilk Icing
Day 2: Chocolate-Cinnamon Bundt Cake with Mocha Icing
Day 3: Pumpkin-Apple Spiced Bundt
Day 4: Cinnamon Ripple Sweet Potato Bundt
Day 5: Chocolate Zucchini Bundt
Day 6: Cardamom Vanilla Bundt
Day 7: Monkey Bread in a Bundt
Day 8: Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bundt
Day 9: Coconut Bundt
Day 10: Sweet Potato Bundt
Day 11: Mom's Apple Cake Bundt
Day 12: Meyer Lemon Bundt
Day 13: Candy Corn Jello Bundt
Day 14: Spiced Cranberry Bundt
Day 15: Blueberry-Buttermilk Bundt
Day 16: Nutella Bundt
Day 17: Carrot Walnut Bundt
Day 18: Pear Ginger Bundt
Day 19: Persimmon Bundt
Day 20: Banana Chocolate Marble Bundt
Day 21: Martha Stewart Chocolate Bundt
Pin It!

21 comments:

Steph said... [Reply to comment]

I've always wanted to make whipped cream cake because it has no butter, but wasn't sure if it would work with no butter even though whipped cream has a lot of fat on its own. How was the crumb? Was it tender or do you miss the butter?

The Food Librarian said... [Reply to comment]

Steph, it has a really nice and light crumb. It wasn't heavy or dry. The library staff really liked it. I didn't miss the butter! ;) - mary

AmyRuth said... [Reply to comment]

Ah never made the whipped cream cake but.....I do love your pan. I have admired that pan for a long time. Good info re: fat between you and Steph. thanks for answering that question. You are amazing!
AmyRuth

Caroline said... [Reply to comment]

Aw, shucks Mary! Thanks for the mention of my birthday. You're not only delightfully crazy ;) but sweet as well! And you're right on about baking w/whipping cream, I baked the one from Sky High & it was so good. Next time will bake it bundt-style.

Nancy/n.o.e said... [Reply to comment]

This one is going on the top of the "Bundts to Try" list, which will not be final until the 30 days is up! I baked a bundt on Thursday and one on Saturday, and I'm wiped out. Don't know HOW you are doing 30 in a row!!!

Patricia @ ButterYum said... [Reply to comment]

Lovely... Rose has the best recipes!

Snooky doodle said... [Reply to comment]

what an interesting bundt. the substitution of butter to cream sounds good :)

Mary said... [Reply to comment]

I think you should contact the Nordic Ware people and let them know about this adventure....I bet if they publicized it, it would help them sell tons of cool bundt pans....

Nutmeg Nanny said... [Reply to comment]

If you don't like butter just use heavy cream :) This looks awesome...yum yum!!!

Katrina said... [Reply to comment]

Mary, you're almost there. Only 8 more days until my birthday! hehe

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

OH I want to taste this one. I'll be making it soon....

Amanda said... [Reply to comment]

You are amazing :) I love this mold, it's one of the prettiest I have seen!

Glad you're not eating all of these LOL

Federica Simoni said... [Reply to comment]

una torta meravigliosa! chissà che buona!

Cucinista said... [Reply to comment]

I agree with Amanda -- I love the mold! Where do you find all your bundt pans?

michelle said... [Reply to comment]

These are all beautiful looking bundt cakes! I love the bundt pan designs you've used for all the cakes! And thanks for the mention --

You are AWESOMELY, DELIGHTFULLY CRAZY! ;-)

Rachel said... [Reply to comment]

I want that bundt pan! Beautiful. I will try to join you on 11/15 and make my first bundt!

suzanna said... [Reply to comment]

How nice! We have been using similar recipe in my family for more than 20 years. Texture is really lovely and moist.

Pamela said... [Reply to comment]

Very elegant! Don't think I've ever seen a cake made with whipping cream like this.

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

Where did you find that Bundt pan? I have been scouring the web for something similar to no avail.

Thanks for any tips. I plan on trying this cake soon.!

The Food Librarian said... [Reply to comment]

Nancy, This is the Nordic Ware Bavaria Bundt Pan.

Nordic Ware: http://www.nordicware.com/store/products/detail/bavaria-bundt-pan/81011E92-39EE-102C-96FB-00137233C6B0

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-Cast-Bavaria-Bundt/dp/B00005NCWY

Andy said... [Reply to comment]

I just put this cake in the oven. I can't wait. (Well, I actually didn't wait, and the batter was delicious!) My only issue is... I don't usually make recipes that contain absolutely no chocolate. Do you have any suggestions for a nice dark chocolate sauce to go with it?

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin